24 Life Hacks From 100 Years Ago That Are Still Useful In Today's Society
by N/A, 8 years ago | 3 min read
Back in the day - the early 1900's to be exact - cigarette manufacturers began inserting "stiffening cards" into their packs to make them sturdier and more reliable, enabling cigarettes to last longer.
Eventually though, someone at UK-based Gallaher Cigarettes had a revelation. Why not make these cards useful in some way? So, without delay, they thought up a series of 100 "How to do it" stiffening cards for their cigarettes, each with their own practical tip and corresponding visual aid pictures - or what we'd refer to today as, "life hacks."Â Here are 24 of our favorites, that still very much apply today.
1. How to pull out long nails.
2. How to kill a tree stump.
3. How to make a simple gate latch.
4. How to make corks fit.
5. How to make a fire extinguisher.
6. How to make a water fountain for chicks.
7. How to adjust a door.
8. How to cool wine without ice.
9. How to clean an oil painting.
10. How to extract a splinter.
11. How to treat squeaky boots.
12. How to remove a tight ring from the finger.
13. How to clean bottles.
14. How to measure with coins.
15. How to draw a circle without compasses.
16. How to keep a paint brush handle clean.
17. How to pick up broken glass.
18. How to separate glass tumblers.
19. How to light a match in the wind.
20. How to tell the points of the compass with a watch.
21. How to revive cut flowers.
22. How to judge the freshness of a lobster.
23. Three useful knots.
24. How to stop a runaway horse.
Do not show me this again