10 Secrets About The Biggest Mall In the United States
by N/A, 9 years ago | 2 min read| 1758
There's a lot you probably didn't know about the nation's largest shopping mall.
Shopping mall USA Architecture Construction Industrial Design Entrepreneurship mall of america Non-Premium
1. At 4.87 million square feet, The Mall of America is the largest mall in the United States.
The King of Prussia Mall in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania technically has more square footage dedicated to retail space.
2. If you fly into the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport you can hop on a light rail that will take you right to the mall.
No need to go outside into Minneapolis' harsh winters.
3. The Mall of America generates almost $2 billion in annual revenue for the state of Minnesota.
4. It would take you 86 hours to visit each store in The Mall of America for just 10 minutes.
That's more than 520 stores.
5. The mall has a 1.2 million-gallon aquarium.
Feeding all the animals inside takes more than 100 pounds of food per day.
6. The mall has a Chapel of Love for couples to get married in.
More than 7,000 people have been married at the mall since it opened.
7. There is no central heating in the mall.
The average temperature inside the building is about 70 degrees year-round and is maintained by body heat, lighting fixtures and solar heat from skylights.
8. No pesticides are used on the plants in the mall. Instead 72,000 lady bugs were released in the mall to fight off aphids.
9. The Mall of America is located where Metropolitan Stadium once was (where the Vikings and the Twins used to play).
There are plaques in the mall marking home plate, as well as where iconic home runs landed.
10. More than $650 million was spent to build the mall in 1992, and a $325 million expansion is on the way.
For some reference, it costs roughly $100 million to send a person to the moon.
Do not show me this again