These Facts About Caffeine Totally Blew My Mind. I Still Can't Believe #5
by N/A, 9 years ago | 1 min read| 11738
There's so much I never knew about that cup of joe each morning!
1. This is what the caffeine chemical looks like with an electron microscope.
Caffeine will form tiny crystals naturally. These crystals are just about .0016 inches in size.
2. According to science, these are the best times to drink coffee.
Because our bodies are controlled by a 24-hour circadian clock, there are certain times in the day we are flooded with cortisol, which naturally keeps us alert, no caffeine needed!
3. After your first sip of coffee, it only takes 10 minutes for that caffeine to kick in.
Caffeine concentration reaches about 50% of the maximum concentration after just about 10 minutes, and that can have the impact youâ€™re looking for. Caffeine reaches maximum levels after about 45 minutes, and can last 3 to 5 hours, depending on how your
4. Humans aren't the only ones who like caffeine. Bees go crazy for it too!
Nectar that can be found in some flowers contains low levels of caffeine. That is used to attract the bees by creating a drug-induced buzz which keeps them coming back. The caffeine may be good for the bees too. Recent studies show it could enhance their
5. Spiders on the other hand, don't react so well.
NASA tested the effects of multiple drugs on a spiders ability to spin webs. The last picture shows the spider on caffeine. Spiders canâ€™t metabolise caffeine like humans can, so there is a great impact on them.
6. You can become dangerously addicted to caffeine.
Because caffeine blocks receptors, your brain compensates by making more so that adenosine can get to its target. Eventually, the makeup of your brain changes, and youâ€™ll need more coffee just to have the same effect.
7. This means you can have some pretty severe withdrawals.
Caffeine stimulates the central nervous system, and regular use can cause mild physical dependance, like many drugs. Caffeine withdrawal is a recognized mental disorder.
8. There are many side effects to caffeine withdrawal.
Quitting cold turkey can cause headaches for more than a week. Doctors recommend reducing caffeine consumption gradually over a period of about a month.
9. Coffee can be lethal.
Of course, 100 cups in a 4 hour span is a little overboard...but probably not impossible.
Do not show me this again