10 Ramen Noodle Facts That You Will Never Forget...Especially Vegetarians
by N/A, 9 years ago | 2 min read| 4710
We've all eaten the inexpensive meal, but how much do we really know about it?
Caution: This list will have you craving some instant noodles!
1. The first instant ramen was considered a high-end food item.
When ramen was introduced in Japan, fresh udon noodles sold for one-sixth the cost of "Chicken Ramen."
2. It's the most popular food item at Rikers prison.
It sells for 35 cents. Sometimes, the prisoners keep the flavoring packets to season their bland cafeteria food.
3. Only the "Oriental" and "Chili" flavors of Nissin Top Ramen are vegetarian.
Chicken, Beef, and Shrimp contain animal products in the powder.
4. Some people like to eat ramen without even cooking it.
David Chang explains, "I think I was around eight years old. I'd come home from school and instead of having Hot Pockets and stuff, I had ramen. I didn't know it was bad for you to consume as a kid. I thought it was good for you."
5. Ramen is the Japanese word for Chinese "lo mein."
6. China eats more instant ramen than any other country.
They consumed more than 46 billion packets of ramen in 2013.
7. The Japanese consider ramen their best invention.
Even though they've given the world many technological blessings, one survey stated they are most proud of introducing instant noodles to the world.
8. If you ate ramen for every meal, it would only cost you $142.65 a year.
We DO NOT recommend this!
9. There's a museum in Osaka, Japan dedicated to Cup Noodles.
At the museum, you can see the history of cup noodles and even make your own flavor!
10. The first noodles ever consumed in space were instant ramen noodles.
The vacuum packed ramen was prepared for Japanese astronaut Soichi Noguchi's trip in the Discovery space shuttle.
Do not show me this again