And God Said, ‘Behold, You Shall Eat Red Wine Grilled Cheese’
Blessed be Cheesus.
Wine and cheese go together like hangovers and iHop, like pumpkin pie and Cool Whip, like peppermint mochas and Christmas…you get the gist: It’s the best damn pairing in the world, and it’s about to get better.
Behold the food mashup to end all food mashups: red wine grilled cheese. It’s exactly what it sounds like: a concoction of melted cheese infused with your favorite red wine, on toasted, buttery bread. Whether or not it gets you tipsy is TBD, but I’m sure your taste buds will be drunk with happiness after devouring this bad boy.
The recipe is from food blogger Bob from BS’ In The Kitchen, who likes to think of himself as “a grilled cheese trendsetter.”
What you’ll need:
Two slices of French bread, a tablespoon of butter, half of a chopped red onion, one clove of minced garlic, a dash of rosemary and thyme and a tablespoon of flour. Choose your favorite red wine and cheese and you’re all set! Bob opted for Cabernet Sauvignon and Gruyère cheese for the ultimate Francophone pairing.
How you do it:
- In a pan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onion, mixing into butter.
- Once the onions begin to soften, add garlic, thyme and rosemary.
- Sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Mix in the flour.
- Once the flour is mixed in, add wine.
- Reduce until alcohol has burned off and the reduction is thick enough to coat a spoon. Taste reduction (being careful not to burn your tongue!) to ensure alcohol has burned off.
- Spread reduction on each slice of bread.
- Add Gruyère.
- Butter the outside of each slice.
- Grill in a pan on medium heat until golden brown on each side.
Even someone like me, who’s a complete disaster in the kitchen, could easily whip this up on a lazy night. Next time I have a wine and cheese party (typically just for myself—don’t judge), I’m totally adding this to the menu.